Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A workout for Connor

Today Connor met with his Therapists. I was so glad we took a few days off to take a little break from the Hospital. He came back with a much better attitude than what he left with.

I was impressed with the Therapists he had this morning, they relieved his concerns about this stay being "painful". They are making this a "fun" experience with play therapy and exercises. It was also nice that they took a lot of time asking me questions about his interests so that they could personalize the therapy.

They provide us with a daily schedule so that we can use the Free time to our liking. Tomorrow he will meet with physical therapists, Occupational therapists, Speech Therapists and he will have 30 minutes of "School".

They really provide a lot of great activities for the Children here. There is a child life liaison, (we call her the toy lady) who you can ask for any type of toy and she brings it. For Connor's request of "Knights and Castles" he received a bounty of a Lego castle set, a bag of knights, a Playmobil Knight and Dragon, a moon sand build your own castle set, and a pink princess castle (which he quickly passed on).

Hollywood Video sponsors "Tuesday video night", where we get to see a new video, and have refreshments.
Tomorrow is BINGO night (our personal favorite) where everyone is a winner.
(He may not want to leave).

We were informed today that there is a 3rd child being treated for a Medulloblastoma (the same type of tumor Connor had removed) this week. I'm hoping Connor will get to make some new friendships with these young children during his therapy.

The Physicians seem very hopeful that he will do very well with his Therapy. He has lots of physical strength and they will focus on improving his balance.

That kid is pretty smart. The speech therapist said "Point to your nose and point to me", so he points to his nose with his index finger, and uses his pinky to point to her. "Oh no, she said, I wanted you to point to your nose and THEN point to me", "Oh that's not what you said", he said. (I think he passed the "follows directions" portion of the interview)

So it was a good first day, and he's looking forward to playing tomorrow, there isn't much more I could ask for.

Best part of the day: Seeing my son trust

1 comment:

  1. Well gee... I guess I'll have to return the pink castle that we got for him. ;) Glad to hear that the first day was a good one! I giggled the entire time I read your post tonight. Thinking of you all! Hugs

    ReplyDelete